Thursday, July 23, 2020

A hole in the head

A hole in the head

It was the day I hit the ground running and the day I realised that fell running is a contact sport - such as my head hitting the ground....very hard.

Ironically it was also the time when the government deemed it safe to travel to a place away from home to take exercise.  At any other time I would have opted to run  with EtU on a route we have graced many times.

As it turned out I was true to form and, embodying the falling down bit in  the title of this blog, I stubbed my toe on the roughest bit of the bridle path round the back of Healy Nab and ended up  (or rather down) on the ground.

And I got up again!

Instantly I could feel blood running down the side of my face, a sensation that has accompanied other falls and so I knew, or thought I knew, that the flow would be staunched and dry up, hopefully by the time I reached the road.

It was not to be and the blood kept flowing, attracting the attention of  of a kind lady dog walker who advised that an ambulance was needed. Of course I knew better and she was persuaded to call out EtU  who duly arrived at  what was quickly becoming a major trauma centre on  Back Lane.

Local residents emerged to offer comfort and support and it was soon obvious, as it should have been to me earlier, that an ambulance was needed.  So I ended up in A&E at Preston where I had excellent treatment, as I did from all NHS staff that day.

It turned  out that I had severed an artery, broken  two ribs and suffered multiple lacerations, not to mention that I had lost a lot of blood. Also I had put EtU and one of our other brothers to a lot of worry and inconvenience and I am grateful to both of them.

Lessons to be learnt.....No more running off road on my own, listen to the advice of people who know better than     the the casualty  and PICK MY FEET UP

No comments: