Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Little Smartie attends first event

For those not already in the know, I made an addition to my transport arrangements at the end of November 2018

Little Smartie is a pure electric car and was purchased with my Mon-Fri trundle into Manchester in mind. She lives in the garage and has a dedicated home charger. 


After 3 months of ownership I thought it was about time she attended her first 'event'. So which one to choose? Not only do I now have to contend with 'cut-off' anxiety, I now have to think about if I can get to the event and back again on one charge - otherwise know as 'range-anxiety' in EV parlance.

Fortunately the Two Crosses event organised by the East Lancs branch of LDWA fitted the bill. A 22m return drive, with a 25m run in between. The drive was well within the capabilities of Little Smartie (65m range in Winter), but there was a bit of a question mark over the runners capabilities as it's been a long time since this sort of distance has been undertaken.

Event day arrived and the first wobble of the day, looking out the bedroom window to see a covering of hailstones. Little Smartie is rear-wheel drive. A quick check of google maps to see if I can avoid the minor roads without too much of a detour. Reassured this was the case, and off we set. Arriving at Event HQ it was a breeze negotiating the school playground and all the obstacles.

4 Seasons worth of weather and 6hrs50mins later, I returned to Little Smartie. Only now did I realised that I hadn't properly given much thought to the dilemma of keeping Little Smartie's interior spotlessly clean (yes, really!!) as befits a 'city' car.

Aside from the clean car bit, the event was a success. My pace was slow, but training dictates that I also need to spend time on my feet if I'm going to succeed at the Calderdale Way Ultra in June. A big thank you to East Lancs LDWA for fabulous event, food was great and good to see so many familiar faces.

TF

No comments: