Saturday, March 05, 2016

Stan Bradshaw Round

I missed this race last year due to injury and so was determined to get round this time. Anne had to drive me as I have damaged my scaphoid bone (again) and we got there in good time. We saw TF at registration but there was no sign of EtU. Just as we were being counted through the start, he appeared having clearly been taking lessons from t'Y on time keeping.
The start is an uphill drag of about a mile on road and then it is straight up Pendle. It was here we had our first taste of what was to come, snow, mud or a mixture of both. In places it was quicker to walk uphill because any attempts at running ended in sliding backwards. After the summit it was a long steady descent to the next two checkpoints, then a nasty little climb followed by a long slippy traverse. I had been looking forward to the next nit as it was a steady climb which I had enjoyed on the recce. However, today it was a mud slide and I had to walk the first bit. Over the top and then a diversion from the normal route, followed by a tricky descent through a wood (one unfortunate lady had a bad fall here and was taken to hospital) and then back down the road to the finish.
Tea, soup and then more tea with EtU and TF made a pleasant end to a great morning out. For the record the course was just over 9.5 miles and just under1600ft of ascent. I took 1hr 53m, TF 2hr 08mn and sadly EtU had to drop out but it didn't stop him enjoying his dead pig butty!

No comments: