Monday, September 07, 2015

Wyatt Earp is missing

It might not have actually been Wyatt Earp but one of the marshals at the Bradley fell race was missing at a critical moment and so my comeback race ended in pure farce. I hadn't raced since April for a variety of reasons and so yesterday's race just the other side of Skipton seemed ideal, 4 miles and 1000ft of climbing. All was going well until the last half mile when coming down a hill facing into the sun, I came to a junction. There was no-one in sight just in front of me and the marshal wasn't there, and so I missed the turning. After about 400m I realised I was wrong and after asking directions managed to find my way back to the finish.


There was no point in getting annoyed about it. Marshals are volunteers and without them there would be no races. it was just my bad luck that he/she chose that particular moment to answer a call of nature/ talk on a mobile phone/ pop out for a beer or whatever. SWINW is not too pleased either. The beard I promised I would shave off when I had completed a fell race is still there.

1 comment:

Ed the Unready said...

Fell races are getting a bit thin on the ground at this time of year; hope your beard is not as sparse.