Sunday, May 31, 2015

Duddon 2015 - TF's report

Our chauffeur had managed to deliver us to the start venue in good time to collect numbers and dibbers and have a couple of visits to the loo. On the drive up we'd persuaded Botters (4th passenger)that he should give the short race a go, with YJ acting as his guide.

It'd been some 4 years since I'd attempted the long'un so had to get instructions from EtU as to which way we set off from the start field. The anticipated 500 entry hadn't materialised, so much so that there was very little in the way of a queue through the first few gates and the field quite quickly spread out.

I remember the run out through the woods to Harter being quite oppressive in 2011, partly due to the heat and partly due to the lack of breeze. Not a problem this year as the trees have now been felled and it was a lot cooler day. Up until 3 Shires my split times had me 3-4 minutes slower on each leg so the half-way point was reached in 2:47 as compared to 2:33 for 2011. The breeze had livened up a bit for the climb up to Swirl How, and in places was positively chilly. The consistent pacing suffered a bit and scored an extra 7 minutes for this leg. Spurred on by the Swirl How Marshals 'go on you can catch them lot', I set off after the group of 7 ahead of me on the more optimum contouring line and was the first to reach Levers Hause.

One place lost to a Bowland Lady on the traverse along Brim Fell, and a further 3 by Dow. These extra 3 dithered at the cp presumably waiting for 'little' me to set off again on the optimum line! Walna Scar road was reached with only the Bowland Lady ahead. By White Pike however, a male and female pair running together from the group of 7 had caught me and by Caw another one place lost. So for those not keeping track, of the original group of 7, I had 4 in front and 3 behind!

The ace up my sleeve for the final run in is knowing a good line off the summit. Honed in the intervening years by undertaking the short race. So a 13 minute descent time meant I re-passed the 4 in front and a further 2 more as well!

Final stats analysis (I promise!). My 2011 time of 4:46 will live in my memory as one of my great achievements. I knew it wasn't likely to be bettered even before I set off, but was really pleased to get within nearly 30mins of it with a finish time of 5:19, particularly when there were times in the race when I thought it'd be longer. 

My thanks to YJ for doing the driving and EtU and Botters for sharing the day. They'll be posting their own reports shortly, so I'll keep you in suspense and let you wait for them to take up the blogging reins.

TF

No comments: