Thursday, April 30, 2015

She's Behind You!

The 'she' in this case being the Tooth Fairy, the race being Arrant Haw, the final race in the Kendal Winter League. I had never raced in the Howgills before, and I was very impressed by them.
The race started with a steady climb, then a tussocky descent to a stream, followed by a pig of a steep climb that seemed to go on for ever. Once on the ridge, however, the running was superb, over Arrant Haw and then to Winder.
Then the fun began. I had been warned about 'Winder legs' but that didn't prepare me for what followed, about 1000 ft in half a mile. Steep wasn't in it, and by the end my quads were screaming, but my great rival in the V60 class was just behind me and I just managed to hold him off, and also Julie who was closing fast. She reckoned, quite rightly, that had the descent gone on for another 5 minutes, she would have beaten me.
I would like to express my thanks to Julie were her support and friendship throughout the series; it is great to see a friendly face before a race. I must also add that my legs have only just recovered!

No comments: