Sunday, November 09, 2014

Words for Yesterday

Thank you, NLN, for your excellent (as usual) photos (see later for captions), long may you continue.

Just a small group, NLN Jim and self, with YJ meeting and greeting before he set off on his 18 mile road run.

We set off for the Bomber Memorial, agreeing that it 'seemed appropriate'. I dropped off the back fairly soon, but managed to overtake the leading pair with a different route choice, so that we all arrived at the memorial at the same time.

Jim expressed an interest in ancient local history, which prompted our photographer to demonstrate her knowledge of the route to the Pike Stones - no, they're not near the Pike. Then, finding a good trod, we were at Jepson's Gate in no time. Down the tarmac to Manor Farm and then footpath to join the lower route to Waterman's Cottage. Thence to Healey Nab, bumping into the Lostock Hopes on the way.

On leaving the Nab we made the mistake of allowing the ever loquacious Jim (ELJ?) to choose the route and about 5 minutes later he asked if either of us knew the way back to the Barn, as he hadn't a clue! A passing dog walker gave us some very vague guidance and we were soon on the 'usual' path home.

I'd dropped back again by the time the leaders reached the Barn, but I'm told that Jim kept on moving, returning to Horwich on foot.

According to my non-electronic measure we'd clocked up a very enjoyable 7.5 miles in about 2 hours 30; probably closer to 8 miles, as my wheel cuts corners - yes, all on its own.

Picture no. 3 - I think you might have got into a bit of a rut.

Picture no. 4 - That's where I had a d**p last week.

Picture no. 5 - Why do I look so little compared with Jim, when you can clearly see, by the way my left hand is positioned, that I am nearer to the camera than he is? Perhaps I am that little.

Was FSS pleased with his rugby result?

No comments: