Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Double Edged Sword - or Poisoned Chalice?

When I suffered my, now all too familiar, breathing problem at the Mearley Clough race, and subsequently finished last, I was able to slink away with just quick apologies to the summit marshall and to the timekeeepers. Also to TF, who finished a good quarter of an hour ahead of me.

However, after suffering the same problem at the Latterbarrow Loop just one week ago today, I was denied the same low profile. As I was passing the prize giving I heard the announcement that "The winner, Ricky Lightfoot has already had to leave, but has asked that his prize (a £15 Pete Bland voucher) be given to the last finisher, who was (drumroll) Ed Swift". The shame of it! Thank you Ricky, you obviously meant well, but I would have preferred that so many pairs of eyes hadn't turned in my direction to witness my embarrasment.

I'm racing again tonight...

1 comment:

t'Yorkshireman said...

At least I had the dignity to finish well before the presentation when I won my "prize" at Langdale Gala a few years back.