Saturday, January 26, 2013

In the end, I also went for a run

I didn't expect to go for a run today. I'd not run since last Saturday. The sore throat had returned so the Northern XC Champs were out of the question for me. Whether they were out of the question for everyone else I do not know. I saw nothing to say they were cancelled this morning but would think the logistics of competitors travelling to Knowsley and parking would be fraught with difficulty.
I was going to nip into Horwich this morning to get my haircut  (originally booked for yesterday evening but the journey home put paid to that) but a phone call revealed the two remaining staff  were going home as soon as possible so I thought I may as well have a little run. The plan was just an hour - up past Austins Farm - the mainly off road route up to the Jolly Crofters then along Georges Lane to the mast road and back, maybe back via Wallsuches.
I'd worn my yaktrax so grip was good until I reached Georges Lane. The problem there was that the road had been fully cleared so nobody had used the pavement so it was either deep snow or no snow at all, not ideal for footwear. A swift decision and I turned up Makinson Lane to Burnt Edge. There had been enough predecessors on the path to make running reasonably quick. Then back down the mast road which had not been cleared so the surface was suited for yaktrax and then the usual path and diagonal to the fishing res and Wallsuches. I managed to take a couple of photos on the phone of the view of the mast and the easterly view from Burnt Edge.




No comments: