Monday, May 23, 2011

Playing Catch-up

Well what've I been up to since last post. As EtU mentioned, a chance meeting on Wednesday morning last week at Greendale, he was just finishing his run I was just starting.

This was the last day of my hols in the Lakes. I could report that the best bit of the 6 days was waiting the 20 mins for the camp-site tumble dryer to finish its cycle. But you know I'd only be joking, don't you? Wouldn't be a Lakes holiday without a bit of rain, just glad it wasn't too windy in the valleys.

Other note-worthy highs included a pb for Fairfield Horseshoe Fell Race in 2:06:52 and finding the summit of Great Gable on Monday. Lows, not locating the trig on Seatallan on Tuesday and contouring myself into the wrong valley (east of Middle Fell instead of west!) on the way back from Pots of Ashness.

With clearer weather on Wednesday I was able to see that I needed to change my bearing slightly as I neared the end of the Wasdale race trod on reaching the plateau. Was only about 25m away the day before, but it'd been too cold, wet and windy for faffing about on the top. A useful recce of the route as far as Scoat Fell then followed and even managed to find the right valley on the way back. In hindsight they'd been too many clues the day before which I'd chosen to ignore which had landed me in the predicament I'd found myself. Can't do 'it's about right' or 'it'll do' for bearings and trods in that weather!

Hopefully I'll have my 'N' hat on for 'Navigator' on Saturday, but just in case I went and recced the Kinder section on Friday!!

TF

No comments: