Monday, November 19, 2007

Tour of Pendle ~ 17th Nov ‘07

This must be one of the toughest fell races outside of the Lakes, and with the usual cold November weather and a fair amount of wind, this year’s was no easier than expected. Being in our club championship there were quite a few Harriers there, all of whom proceeded to beat me (must find out what the tall, cheery, toothy, bald guy is called). Thought I might have a chance of finishing in front of Richard Longlands, but he took 20 minutes or so out of me.

However, had an enjoyable race, to-ing and fro-ing with our John and Wayne Walsh of Bowland right to the final checkpoint. John climbs better than me and I descend better than him, whilst Wayne descends better than me and I climb better than him, so it was interesting all along the way with much changing of positions ~ a reet good race.

Thinking I had left John for dead at the penultimate checkpoint (10) I was surprised when he appeared ahead of me, due to better navigation, as we approached Bill Smith (author of Stud Marks on the Summits) at CP11, with Wayne closing fast due to better descending. However, by then I had blown off all Friday’s alcohol and had refuelled on Lucozade Sport and Mars bars, so was in no mood to roll over. I put in a sustained effort for the last mile and a half and managed to put 37 seconds between me and Wayne with a further minute and 21 seconds between Wayne and John, clocking 3.58.05 and going under 4 hours again for the first time since 1999.

The only V65 recorded in the results finished behind John, so he seems to have have been the first in that category, although recorded as a youngster of 60. Horwich ladies took the team prize, courtesy of Lyndsey Squires (nee Brindle), Geraldine Walkington (1st LV50) and Mary White ~ no mean feat on Clayton's home turf. Just for the record, Pete Walkington, Horwich V60, finished one second behind Geraldine (who was pacing whom?) and a full 36 minutes ahead of the only other Horwich V60.

Found the little café between Barley and Roughlee (GR SD838393) on the way home and celebrated with a bacon and egg barm.

Although I didn’t have the optimum line between CP’s 10 and 11, it must be said that races such as this and Winter Hill have lost a little something, now that the routes are so well trod and navigation is so much easier than it was a few years ago, especially when visibility is as good, as it was on Saturday~ but don’t remind me of this when I get lost on Winter Hill in February!

Also, a pox on technology! This race has always been 17 miles long, but now some comedian (comedienne?) with sat nav or a GPS or an MP3 player or whatever, has jogged round and it's only 16.8 miles. "What's wrong with a piece of string wrapped round pins?" say I.

See TF's comment ~ any more for Duddon? Could be another good race.

Ed

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done to you both. 0.2m is nothing though 'cos apparently Duddon is 3m(!) short of the advertised statistics - according to Ian's garmin. Might be tempted to have a go at the proper one this year.
TF