Monday, June 22, 2020

Coope's Dozen - Is It really 25 Years?

1. I suggest 'we' go ahead with our annual inspection of the route on 25th July, in keeping with our 'week before Borrowdale' tradition.

2.



3. It's several years since I managed to get round the full route - my training diary suggests YJ, Colin W and I went round in 6 hours 12 in August 2014. Since then I've made several starts but not clocked up any completions, so two days ago I set off to put that right.

Preparation had consisted of a slight increase in my weekly miles from an average of a meagre 22 for all of 2019 to an average of 29 for the first five months of this year, plus a short trip out from Piccadilly to stash drinks and carbs on Great Hill on Friday evening - this was to be a 'solo, unsupported' attempt.

Conditions were generally good, although with all the recent rain it was wet underfoot and some of the grassy descents were a trifle slippery. Also, the heat got to me later in the day.

I'll not bore you with too much detail, but two, YJ inspired, route choices seemed good - after Two Lads I dropped down to Holden's Farm and thence onto Coalpit Lane before climbing back to onto the ridge after the res and then down to Whinberry Hill and Egg Hillock. At that point I did an about turn and retraced my steps back over Whinberry and back onto the ridge and over (at some point) Counting Hill. Then it was on to the Trig Point and down to Hordern Stoops 3 hours and 28 minutes after setting off.

I've always seen Hordern Stoops as the half way point, and I figured that allowing for some significant slowing down after that, I might finish in about 8 hours - it was not to be!

Then Old Adam's, Spitlers Edge and Great Hill to retrieve, and mostly consume, my stash. Then Round Loaf and down to White Coppice, where the wheels started to fall off. From there it was a struggle; partly through tiredness but also sore heels. My little shortie trainer stocks had slipped down and left my heels rubbing on the backs of my shoes, but in true racing (!!!) mode I didn't want to lose time by sorting things out and bravely/stupidly (narrow dividing line) carried on until the damage was done. It took me an hour and 35 minutes to get back from Healey Nab and I reached the Top Barn 8 hours and 40 minutes after leaving it.

A satisfying, if somewhat draining, day out - it must have done me good!

4. If the limit of six folk to a group still applies on 25th July I propose staggered starts at, perhaps, five minute intervals - see you there, and bring a friend - or five.

No comments: